View on map
** Quite interesting
* Not very interesting but worthy of inclusion
5 Open for long periods, or key readily available
4 May be open for long periods, but best to check beforehand
3 Uncertain opening times
2 Closed for all or most of the time other than for services
1 Closed at all times
Denomination: Church of England
Associated Trust: Churches Conservation Trust
Period: Norman, 13th Century, 15th Century, 16th Century
Features: Chancel area, Coat of arms, Doorways, Memorials, Monuments, Squint, Tower
Location: 32 miles NE of Bristol off the M5.
Opening Times: During term time open Thur/ Frid 10.30 - 14.30. Outside term time open Wed/Thur/Sat 10.30 - 14.30. Other times keyholder nearby (except Mon when the church is closed).
The present church to the W of the cathedral dates back to the 12th century but was rebuilt in the following century, with larger windows added later, and the superb tower and vault were constructed about 1450. Above the S doorway is a Royal Arms of Charles II. Many of the church’s monuments and memorial slabs commemorate important local citizens, most notably Alderman John Wallton (d.1626) and his wife Alice - an indication of the prosperity of the church in former times and the support it received from rich residents. There are 16th-century squints on both sides of the chancel to allow members of the congregation to view the sanctuary.
Address: Westgate Street, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1 2PG