View on map
** Quite interesting
* Not very interesting but worthy of inclusion
5 Open for long periods, or key readily available
4 May be open for long periods, but best to check beforehand
3 Uncertain opening times
2 Closed for all or most of the time other than for services
1 Closed at all times
Denomination: Church of England
Type: Chantry Chapel, Church
Period: Saxon, 14th Century, 17th Century
Features: Chancel area, Lady Chapel, Roofs, Tower
Location: 5 miles NW of Bath on the A431.
This church offers a superb blending of different ages of Christian worship and life. It is built on a Roman site; it reveals Anglo-Saxon origins, with a long aisleless Saxon nave; it has a chantry chapel of c. 1300; there is a late 14th-century chancel; the sedilia in the Lady chapel speaks of medieval church life; the pitted exterior wall of the W tower is probably a permanent mark left by 17th-century Civil War shot; and the 19th-century nave roof with gold embellishment results from further care to improve the worshipping environment, and it complements the ribbed chancel roof with its bosses. A rich inheritance indeed!
Address: Church Road , Bitton, Gloucestershire, BS30 6LH