• View on map
    Rating Key

    ***** Outstanding
    **** Excellent
    *** Good
    ** Quite interesting
    * Not very interesting but worthy of inclusion

    Open

    5 Open for long periods, or key readily available
    4 May be open for long periods, but best to check beforehand
    3 Uncertain opening times
    2 Closed for all or most of the time other than for services
    1 Closed at all times

Site: St George
Denomination: Church of England
Type: Church
Famous Connections: E.Paley (1823-95) and Austin (1841-1915), architects
Period: 19th Century

Features: 19th-century Decorated style church, Blind arcades, Geometric tracery, Glass, Nave roof, Spire, Tower

Location: 7 miles NNW of Barrow-in-Furness on the A5093


Description:

This late 19th-century church was probably erected in response to the rapid expansion of the town, which itself was largely a consequence of the growth of the local mining and ironworking industries. It was built by Paley & Austin in an elaborate Decorated style. The foremost features are the fine central tower with recessed spire, which is a landmark visible from great distances around, and internally the good nave wagon roof, and the stained glass celebrating the life of the poet Norman Nicholson, who is buried in the nearby town cemetery.

Address: St George, Millom, Cumbria, LA18 4JE
Phone Number: 01229 772889

E-mail: clivershaw@btinternet.com

Rating: ***

Open: 4